Essential oils are volatile potent extracts of plants, distilled to a concentrate. They are the 'life blood' of plants and have important medical properties such as anti–bacterial, anti–viral, relaxants etc. They have been used since as far back as 4500BC. The Egyptians were famous for their use of these oils, and their knowledge spread to the Romans and other civilisations. During the great plague of Europe, thieves would rub particular essential oils over themselves; Knowing that they were then 'safe' from plague infestation, they would then go into the houses of the dead and dying to steal their goods. No–one else would dare walk into certain 'death'. The re–introduction of essential oils came about at the end of the 19th beginning of the 20th centuries. During WW1 the civilian military hospitals used essential oils extensively for their wound–healing and anti–bacterial properties.
The essential oils that are used in my practice are pure 'therapeutic–grade' oils which are cold pressed and steam distilled. There are no adulterations and contain no harmful synthetic chemicals.
Benefits of using pure grade oils
- The molecules are small enough to penetrate the skin very quickly, and are capable of penetrating the cell membrane within 20 minutes.
- They stimulate blood flow, oxygen transport within the blood and help in the delivery of nutrients.
- They are very powerful anti–oxidants and can help reduce inflammation in the cells of the body.
- Essential oils are – antibacterial; antifungal; antimicrobial; antiparasitic; antiinfectious; antiviral and antiseptic.
- Essential oils may detoxify the blood.
- They contain sesquiterpenes which can cross the blood–brain barrier. This is particularly important when dealing with neurological ailments and memory recall.
- Essential oils provide air purification, increase the ozone and negative ions in the area.
These essential oils also work on the olfactory receptors which are our 'smell' signals. Odours can stimulate nerve impulses in the brain which can initiate memories and emotions. Have you ever smelt something that has reminded you of good times? Essential oils can help alter the way we feel - make us feel happy and relaxed.
Essential oils are powerful enough to affect a change in both the body and the mind, and the raindrop technique
is a powerful method in achieving this.